Re: non-us-ascii characters

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 11:36:24AM -0300, Guilherme Soares Zahn wrote:
> Hi there
>
>     I've been facing some curious problems when trying to use
> non-¨us-ascii¨ characters in my Linux box...
>
>     In a regular xterm, in the command prompt, an ¨e¨ with an acute
> displays like ¨\351¨, and ¨a tilde¨ like ¨\343¨ and so on... in the same
> xterm, if I use the Midnight Commander internal editor, everything
> displays fine (except for the c cedilla, wich displays absolutely
> nothing), and if I use Joe I just get the wrong, us-ascii, characters
> (and e acute displays like an i, an a tilde like a c and so on)... Now,
> why is it so? I use glibc 2.1 and, in my .bashrc file, I added the
> following lines (as I was told to):

 LANG=pt_BR
 LC_ALL=pt_BR
 LC_CTYPE=ISO-8859-1
 LESSCHARSET=latin1
 export LANG LC_ALL LC_CTYPE LESSCHARSET

> What's up? How can I have, at least, a consistent output (I mean, every
> console app undestanding the keyboard the right way)?

for bash (and all readline programs) create file ~/.inputrc with:
   set meta-flag on
   set convert-meta off
   set output-meta on
   set editing-mode emacs
   set horizontal-scroll-mode on
   "\e\e[C": forward-word
   "\e\e[D": backward-word
   "\e\e[3~": kill-word
   "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
   "\e[7~": beginning-of-line
   "\e[3~": delete-char
   "\e[4~": end-of-line
   "\e[8~": end-of-line

> Oh, tes... I have a even more serious problem with that... for some
> reason, the double quotes come like '\250' on the xterm console, come
> like a '<' on Joe and, even if in the MC internal editor they seem like
> double quotes, they aren't understood that way on scripts, so that the
> only way to build decent scripts (and to run certain commands) is to
> copy the double quotes from somewhere else and paste in there... Any
> suggestions on how to solve that (even if ONLY that)?

First, normal double quotes have code \042 not \250. You my have keyboard
badly remapped. I see \250 on my terminal as double quotes, but half size.
All programs use only \042.

Second, your joe is configured for 7-bits characters, use it with option
-asis or change /etc/Muttrc or ~/.muttrc.

Mirek