non-us-ascii characters

Hi there

    I've been facing some curious problems when trying to use
non-¨us-ascii¨ characters in my Linux box...

    In a regular xterm, in the command prompt, an ¨e¨ with an acute
displays like ¨\351¨, and ¨a tilde¨ like ¨\343¨ and so on... in the same
xterm, if I use the Midnight Commander internal editor, everything
displays fine (except for the c cedilla, wich displays absolutely
nothing), and if I use Joe I just get the wrong, us-ascii, characters
(and e acute displays like an i, an a tilde like a c and so on)... Now,
why is it so? I use glibc 2.1 and, in my .bashrc file, I added the
following lines (as I was told to):

LANG=pt_BR
LC_ALL=pt_BR
LC_CTYPE=ISO-8859-1
LESSCHARSET=latin1
export LANG LC_ALL LC_CTYPE LESSCHARSET

What's up? How can I have, at least, a consistent output (I mean, every
console app undestanding the keyboard the right way)?

Oh, tes... I have a even more serious problem with that... for some
reason, the double quotes come like '\250' on the xterm console, come
like a '<' on Joe and, even if in the MC internal editor they seem like
double quotes, they aren't understood that way on scripts, so that the
only way to build decent scripts (and to run certain commands) is to
copy the double quotes from somewhere else and paste in there... Any
suggestions on how to solve that (even if ONLY that)?

TIA,

Guilherme Zahn