Testing a new kernel

Hi.

I've just completed my 1st crack at compiling the 2.0.36 kernel to optimize my
system. I've read through the HOWTO's and all the on-line documentation, and I
think I understand (and successfully done) all the steps except for
installation. But I have a bit if anxiety about trying out the new image (too
many bad experiences left over from the MS Registry), and I'd like to verify
that I understand what I'm doing. I checked the archives, but I don't see an
answer... maybe I missed it.

Anyway:

I have a new bzImage and bzdisk created, but I'd like to test the new kernel
without removing my old image or updating LILO (yet). From my understanding, if
I reboot the machine with the bzdisk I created, then the new kernel should be
loaded without effecting the old image on hda. If everything tests out OK, I
can run make bzlilo to do the permanent install. If something is wrong, then I
just remove the disk and reboot, which will load my old kernel image.

Is that correct?

Sorry to take up bandwidth with this question, but as a newbie, I wanted to
make sure I learn the right way to do things.

--
Stanley J. Benes
Technology and Innovations Group