Re: Testing a new kernel

"Stanley J. Benes" <benes@cig.mot.com> writes:

> I've just completed my 1st crack at compiling the 2.0.36 kernel to
> optimize my system.

For two weeks ago I moved from 2.0.33 to 2.2.10 (see other thread here
for 10 days ago) and I strongly advice you to build 2.2.10
instead. IMHO of course.

> I have a new bzImage and bzdisk created, but I'd like to test the new kernel
> without removing my old image or updating LILO (yet). From my understanding, if
> I reboot the machine with the bzdisk I created, then the new kernel should be
> loaded without effecting the old image on hda. If everything tests out OK, I
> can run make bzlilo to do the permanent install. If something is wrong, then I
> just remove the disk and reboot, which will load my old kernel image.
>
> Is that correct?

>From one not-so-newbie-but-new-to-kernels to another newbie: Yep, as
far as I can tell.

"man lilo" an look for "label".

My lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda7
root=/dev/hda7
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=30
read-only
image=/vmlinuz-2.2.10-1.0
        label=Cerebrum
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux

-------

% ls -lF /
[snip]
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Aug  1 18:44 vmlinuz ->
boot/vmlinuz-2.0.35
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           23 Aug  1 18:40
vmlinuz-2.2.10-1.0 -> boot/vmlinuz-2.2.10-1.0

Ask if something is unclear.

--
( Jonas Steverud  @  www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/ !    Wei Wu Wei    )
( U2MoL, Roleplaying, LaTeX, Emacs/Gnus, SCWM, etc. ! To Do Without Do )