Re: LILO on hdc (to be hda)

>> BTW, does anyone have an idea about how to use different fstab at
>> bootup - by using a boot parameter for instance? The idea is to be
>
>Not possible.  /etc/fstab is read by mount, which is called by the startup
>scripts.
>You can, of course, modify the scripts to shuffle the fstab file before it
>mounts any partitions.

Can those scripts get some input from the keyboard at that time?

>Why in the world would your hard drives change their drive assignments on
>a regular basis?

Well, a few reasons:
- I'm not too fond of one of my two drives heating the box, wasting power and making noise when I know I won't be using it for the next ten hours (or ten days) - and my first disk is used for windows stuff, so one day may come when I will only be using it occasionally (of course, I can then put it as hdb & boot it from lilo with remapping, or directly from the bios)
- I may sometimes need to plug my drive on another computer
- when I first installed my second drive, I didn't took care of the position of the video card which appeared to be too close to the two heavily used drives (I was transfering lots of stuff from the old disk to the new), and began working erratically, which scared me since my motherboard had died a few weeks before... so I guess I'm a little over-sensitive to the heat problem, and extra ventilation is too noisy for me - so I just thought I could unplug the drive I'm not using.
- anyway the main reason is that I came to Linux because I wanted to be able to fine tune & customize my system, so I wanted to KNOW how to do this even if I have other maybe more practical or realistic ways to solve my problem...

Thanx for the info anyway,

Have a nice weekend,
Keith