Re: LILO on hdc (to be hda)

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Keith001 wrote:

> BTW, does anyone have an idea about how to use different fstab at
> bootup - by using a boot parameter for instance? The idea is to be

Not possible.  /etc/fstab is read by mount, which is called by the startup
scripts.

You can, of course, modify the scripts to shuffle the fstab file before it
mounts any partitions.

> able to use a disk that is sometimes hda, sometimes hdb (my bios

Why in the world would your hard drives change their drive assignments on
a regular basis?

hda is always the master IDE drive on the first controller, and hdb is
always the slave.

You can remap these with LILO if you really want - (I dont remember the
options) - but why, if you don't have to worry about booting off of a
particular disk?  The primary use of that is for DOS which can't
comprehend booting off of anything other than the first disk.

Anyway, you should be able to come up with a setup that is at least
consistent all the time.