unpredictable gcc behavior (not signal 11) with recent slink system

Hello All,

I just last week installed slink 2.1_r2 on a new machine and am now
having trouble with gcc during large compiles (the kernel, for
example).  So far, gcc has never reported signal 11, only signal 6.
The problem is unpredictable in the sense that the compile always
fails but rarely in the same place.  Here are four snippets of the
actual output during a make zImage (after running make menuconfig;
make dep):

(#1)
In file included from init/main.c:43:
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.36/include/asm/bugs.h:121: internal error--unrecogniz
able insn:
(jump_insn 41 40 42 (return) -1 (nil)
    (nil))
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
cpp: output pipe has been closed

(#2)
sched.c: In function `update_wall_time_one_tick':
sched.c:1138: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
(jump_insn 146 142 147 (return) -1 (nil)
    (nil))
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
cpp: output pipe has been closed

(#3)
mem.c: In function `read_ram':
mem.c:39: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
(jump_insn 24 17 25 (return) -1 (nil)
    (nil))
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
cpp: output pipe has been closed

(#4)
sched.c: In function `update_wall_time_one_tick':
sched.c:1138: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
(jump_insn 146 142 147 (return) -1 (nil)
    (nil))
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
cpp: output pipe has been closed

My slink install is actually based off the "unofficial" boot floppies
customized for aic7xxx SCSI controllers.  Other than that, the rest
of the system is "out of the box".  The compiler is the normal gcc
provided with slink 2.1, and the kernel source is 2.0.36. I'm hoping
that this is not a hardware problem-- but just in case, here is what I
can say about the hardware components:

processor:    AMD k6/2 475   [NOT overclocked]
motherboard:  TMC T15VG+
memory:       256M (8ns pc100)
video:        generic S3 Virge/DX
SCSI card:    Adaptec 2940AU
SCSI drives:  Seagate ST34572N
              Seagate ST31055N
              Iomega Zip 100 (external)
SCSI cdrom:   Sanyo CRD-254SH

The processor is not overclocked, and as per instructions for the mboard,
my ram is sync'd to the AGP bus rather than the CPU bus.  (The
CPU bus for K6/2 475 on my mboard is 95 MHz, and the specs warn users
not to set the ram to the CPU bus unless "the CPU bus is 100MHz and
the memory is pc100".)

If anyone has ideas about what may be wrong, please Cc me.  Thanks
very much for your help!

--tim

Timothy Burt
Duke University, Dept. of Physics