Re: unpredictable gcc behavior [ Fixed ]

	Subject: unpredictable gcc behavior (not signal 11) with recent slink system
	Date: Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 03:29:13PM -0400

Quoting Timothy Burt(tburt@phy.duke.edu):
> Hello All,
>
> I just last week installed slink 2.1_r2 on a new machine and am now
> having trouble with gcc during large compiles (the kernel, for
> example).  So far, gcc has never reported signal 11, only signal 6.
> The problem is unpredictable in the sense that the compile always
> fails but rarely in the same place.  Here are four snippets of the
> actual output during a make zImage (after running make menuconfig;
> make dep):

Tim

  I tried everything I could think of in the bios, with negative
results.  So changed the Clock Frequency from 100 Mhz to 95 Mhz
and left the "CPU to Bus Frequency Ratio" at 4.5.  Clock went from
451.036 Mhz to 428.657 Mhz, and BogoMIPS from 897.84 to 855.24.
I can now compile kernel 2.2.11 and make modules, on one pass.

This is with, what the vender says, 64Meg of is PC100 8ns Ram and 123
Meg of swap. (?)

  Altho I have not timed the kernel compile lately, I seem to recall
that the old Cyrix 6x86MX166 took about 5 minutes 30 seconds to
compile an early 2.2.x kernel.  This K6-2/450 took 4 minutes 3 sec.
using make -j4.  I had expected a bit more but the 2.2.11 kernel is
big so I am not really worried about it.

  Not being satisfied, I checked the FIC site and found that this
board/CPU combo 'should' work at 100 MHZ & 4.5 ratio.  This board
had been jumpered for RC-100 Ram (6ns, 7ns, 8ns) so I changed the
jumpers to Non-PC-100 Ram (8ns, 10ns, 12ns, and above).  I put the
clock back to 100 Mhz, left the bios settings where they were and
tried the compile again.  Success!  The kernel and modules compiled
without a signal 6 error.  The kernel compile time went from
(make bzImage) 95Mhz bus 4m7.860 to 100Mhz 3m55.380s.  As the vendor,
Micro Pro Inc (Ohio) said that this Memory was 7ns Ram, I am going to
see if they might honor my request for the correct ram.

  Hope that this might help you with your problem.  As of now, at
least, I have a working, fast syatem, again.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Wayne
--
I have a dream: 1073741824 bytes free.