Fetchmail and Exim - 554 SMTP service not available

I can collect mail via smtp from Demon Internet, I can also collect mail
from Demon and other IPs using fetchmail and Procmail. I can't seem to
get Fetchmail to hand mail on to Exim for local delivery.

My .fetcmailrc looks like this:

poll mail.btinternet.com
protocol pop3
password xxxxxxx

When I run 'fetchmail -v" I get the following:

fetchmail: POP3< +OK password required for gsmh
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK maildrop has 1 message (1317 octets)
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 1317
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0 is the last msg seen
1 message for gsmh at mail.btinternet.com (1317 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 message (1317 octets)
fetchmail: POP3< 1 1317
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 1 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK top
reading message 1 of 1 (1317 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP< 554 SMTP service not available
fetchmail: SMTP< 554 SMTP service not available
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< test
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
mail.btinternet.com
fetchmail: Query status=10
fetchmail: normal termination, status 10

I have made sure I have localhost in the correct place in exim.conf, I
have checked the fetchmail.FAQ (section T3) but still can't work it out.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? On my machine I am
scgf.gmx.net, my mail comes to me relayed from GMX to my real email
address, gsmh@btinternet.com. I am gsmh@gmx.net to the outside world. I
am using Exim 3-02.5 on my Potato system.

TIA for any help.

--
Phillip Deackes
Debian Linux (Potato)