Re: The Hat: was Re: new logo on debian.org

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 12:02:53AM -0400, Shannon wrote:
> In message <[🔎] E118w1u-0000TJ-00@moira>, egm2@jps.net writes:
>
> > What exactly is "clever" about the "Hat"? I got the jinni thing.
>
> Because that particular kind of hat is well known and it is the
> kind of thing that sticks in people's minds.  It is actually valid
> to call it clever.

OK, so a bunch of people think that the swirl sticks in people's minds
as well.  I find it more memorable than the hat, actually.

> > Furthermore, what's with the penguin? That never made any sense either.
>
> Why not?  It is a mascot.  Not all mascots have any direct
> relationship to whatever they represent?

Nor do all logos.  This was my original point. (well, do a
"sed -e 's/direct/obvious/'" on that first)

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu