Re: Flaming Debian Newbies

> Lee Elliott wrote:
[...]
> > Having said that, when I followed the instructions (from Debian.org) for
> > installing slink on my platform and finally got it to load, and logged
> > in, I found that I didn't have 'man'.  It took more RTFM'ing and
> > figuring out the various things dselect was telling me before I tried
> > looking for a discrete 'man' package to D/L and install.

Ed Cogburn wrote:
[...]
> 	The man package is far to large to fit on the base system.  I had
> exactly the same problem when I installed Linux for the first
> time.  'man' was one of the few unix commands that I knew (thanks
> to a book I bought), but after installing it wasn't there.  Ouch.

Since many people who are slightly familiar with any form of unix will
be likely to try the man command on a new debian system, it may be a
good idea to include a script called `man' in the base system that
prints a message explaining that the man pages are not yet there, where
to get them, how to install them, and where to find other sources of
information (/usr/doc, ww.debian.org, this list).

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology