Re: Flaming Debian Newbies

Lee Elliott wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My personal opinion:- Flaming only wastes B/W and does nothing to help
> the next 'Newbie' who hasn't joined the list yet.  Why be nasty?  A
> single line "man('xzy')" reply direct to the poster (not via the list)
> will get the message across if you want to help - delete it if you
> don't..

	Who flamed a newbie?  I must have missed it.

	To those who can't stand newbies and their questions:  Please
SHUT THE HELL UP, and let the rest of us deal with the newbie.

> Having said that, when I followed the instructions (from Debian.org) for
> installing slink on my platform and finally got it to load, and logged
> in, I found that I didn't have 'man'.  It took more RTFM'ing and
> figuring out the various things dselect was telling me before I tried
> looking for a discrete 'man' package to D/L and install.  At the
> moment, having done some work on AIX, UnixWare and SCO, but never
> before having installed any flavour of Unix, I'm wondering if there is
> a Debian equivilent of 'smit' or 'sysadm' - no don't tell me - this is
> one I know I'll figure out eventually, but the point is, right _now_, I
> just don't know what I should be looking up or where.

	The man package is far to large to fit on the base system.  I had
exactly the same problem when I installed Linux for the first
time.  'man' was one of the few unix commands that I knew (thanks
to a book I bought), but after installing it wasn't there.  Ouch.

	Sorry, don't know about 'smit' or 'sysadm'.

	What is it you are trying to look up?

--
Ed C.