older deb packages

    I 've just recently installed (from scratch) the most recent stable
version of Debian (slink).  I ftp'd the files necessary to my win box,
and installed from hard disk.  My question is:  I have a distribution on
CD (Debian/GNU Linux 1.2.0).  After installing the base, I've used
dselect with this CD.  Is this a bad idea?
    I've been unable to successfully install the man utility.  I have a
ppp connection working (a fairly slow connection), am I better off using
dselect with ftp?

--
Paul Nesbit
Algonquin College