No KDE/GNOME for stable?

Pardon me if this has been hashed and rehashed:  I haven't seen it on
the Usenet linux.debian.user, but I know not every message gets
gatewayed.  I did a search on the archive and found nothing.

It seems to me that there's no way to install either KDE or GNOME
using the current stable release.  Apparently once a release is
"frozen" all new versions of .deb archives are created for unstable,
which in this case means using glibc 2.1 . . . which means that you
can't actually use them on a stable machine, because there's no
approved way of upgrading to glibc 2.1 on stable that I can locate.

. . . why?  What's the purpose of making everything on machines
running stable un-upgradable until some obscure Perl bug is worked
out?  I just don't follow.

Is there a way to try KDE/GNOME on stable that I'm missing?  I did
some fairly extensive searches via www.debian.org's package search
engine.  I should specify that I want a reasonably new release of
either, not the alpha GNOME in stable.

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net