anyone having problems with ssh (sshd) 1.2.27?

I'm running slink (Debian 2.1).

I downloaded and compiled ssh 1.2.27.  The client works fine, but the server
(sshd) will crash with a SEGV (segmentation violation) after a while.  (I
haven't yet determined what a "while" is, but it's over 1 hour.)  I do not
even have to connect to it to get it to die -- it does so all by itself.

The only reason I know it's a SEGV is that I ran the debugger (gdb) on it
(via "attach") and it says "Program exited with signal segmentation violation"
(or something like that).

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the libraries included on
slink: libc6.  (I couldn't get sshd to compile using only libc5.  I'm
guessing that the other libraries that it links with need libc6.)  If the
libraries is indeed the problem, does anyone know of a tried-and-true
method of tracking the problem libc6 library call(s) down?

I tried linking sshd statically (i.e., w/o any dynamic libraries) and it
fails in precisely the same way.

I am willing to run a different version of ssh, as long as I can keep sshd
from dying.

P.S. I run sshd 1.2.27 on other Linux machines running Slackware 3.6 with
     no problems whatsoever.  They, obviously, use libc5, not libc6.