Re: No KDE/GNOME for stable?

On Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 08:00:36PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> It seems to me that there's no way to install either KDE or GNOME
> using the current stable release.  Apparently once a release is
> "frozen" all new versions of .deb archives are created for unstable,
> which in this case means using glibc 2.1 . . . which means that you
> can't actually use them on a stable machine, because there's no
> approved way of upgrading to glibc 2.1 on stable that I can locate.

"apt-get install package" will pull in the package and all dependancies
(FWIW, perl seems to be sorting itself out - I just upgraded perl on my
router the other day without problems) without disturbing other things.
Debian supports partial upgradability - you should only need to upgrade
individual packages when forced to by dependancies.

In any case, you don't need to go to unstable - take a look at the
installation instructions for Debian, which point to an archive of
packages for stable on the GNOME FTP site.  I've been using this quite
happily for a while now.  The base apt line is

  deb ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/gnome-1.0/debian slink main

but it would obviously be better to use a mirror.

> . . . why?  What's the purpose of making everything on machines
> running stable un-upgradable until some obscure Perl bug is worked
> out?  I just don't follow.

The perl upgrade annoied quite a few developers too.  However, part of
the point with unstable is that it's where new development goes on.
While the idea is to avoid and work out bugs, they can appear -
particularly if (as in this case) a large number of packages are
affected and need to be synced.

In any case, you don't need to do a full upgrade - you'll only be bitten
by the perl change if you upgrade perl related packages.

> Is there a way to try KDE/GNOME on stable that I'm missing?  I did
> some fairly extensive searches via www.debian.org's package search
> engine.  I should specify that I want a reasonably new release of
> either, not the alpha GNOME in stable.

See above for GNOME.  I don't know (or care, for that matter :-) ) about
KDE, but people have been posting some references to aptable archives.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/