Re: LS-120 "Super Rescue" floppy

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 03:06:41PM -0700, Pann McCuaig wrote:
> I'm trying to make a "super rescue" floppy on an LS-120 floppy.
Good idea! Norton Utilities for Windows does this with a Zip drive.

> If I leave the first line in /etc/lilo.conf
>
> /dev/hdd1
Definately not what you want. In my experience, liloconfig is a waste
of time.

> /dev/hdd
Correct in your scenario. Could you post the whole lilo.conf file?

> L 01 01 01 ...
According to /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz:
 0x01   "Illegal command". This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may
 indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the
 BIOS. See also "Warning: BIOS drive 0x<number> may not be accessible"
 in section "Warnings".

Perhaps you could move the LS-120 to /dev/hdb? IIRC, my CD-RW did not
like being a slave to a CD-ROM drive, so the same thing might apply
here.

> /dev/hdd1 is the only partition on the LS-120 floppy, and is marked bootable.
Shouldn't matter if it is marked bootable. As long as LILO takes over.
Another thing I've done: install LILO on /dev/hda and /dev/hda1. So:
1. BIOS gives control to LILO on /dev/hda
2. I tell LILO to boot "linux" (on /dev/hda1)
3. LILO transfers control to /dev/hda1
4. I tell LILO to boot "linux"
5. Goto 3

Perhaps you could look into restoring the backup /boot/boot.nnn file
for your LS-120, or recreate the FS?
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com