LS-120 "Super Rescue" floppy

I'm trying to make a "super rescue" floppy on an LS-120 floppy.

At work we have several machines with no "standard" floppy drive
configured thusly:

            +--- master --- /dev/hda (hard drive)
+--- IDE0 --|
|           +--- slave ---- (no connection)
|
|           +--- master --- /dev/hdc (CDROM)
+--- IDE1 --|
            +--- slave ---- /dev/hdd (LS-120)

What I'm trying to do is create a bootable slink system on the LS-120
floppy. I can boot the official CD and with a minimum amount of fiddling
get the base system installed on /dev/hdd (the LS-120 floppy).

The problem is configuring lilo. I can tell the BIOS to boot first from
A: or from LS/ZIP, and in either case (if memory serves, sorry) the
symptoms are identical.

If I leave the first line in /etc/lilo.conf

/dev/hdd1

as set by liloconfig, the boot process hangs silently when you'd expect
lilo to put in an appearance.

If I change that line to

/dev/hdd

and rerun lilo, the boot process gets as far as lilo, but fails like
this:

L 01 01 01 ...

/dev/hdd1 is the only partition on the LS-120 floppy, and is marked bootable.
And yes, it's an ext2 partition.

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

Cheers,
 Pann
--
What's All the Buzz About Linux?                    L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\