Re: Back Again - CDRom

> Artur Correia wrote:
>
> OK,
> As expected, ran into some more problems:
> #1. How the hell do i see the contents of a cdrom? I've tried in the
> shell mount /dev/hdb and mount /dev/cdrom, but i got a message saying
> that that file was not in the file fstab or mtab... and, in fact, it
> isn't. The starnge part is tha if i run dselect with the cd rom with
> the debian distribution the program accesses the cd and install all
> the packages from it? So, what do i do?
> Desperately waiting for a solution,
> AC
> Tks

I believe you might need a more complete mount command, such as:

  mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom

and that you'll probably have to mount it as root (unless you do some
other configuration stuff to allow normal users to mount it). The
"/cdrom" part can be any existing directory, such as "/mnt" or
"/my_cd_drive", but it must be a directory and it must exist prior to
this command. (Sorry if this is "I already know all that stuff"
language.)

Also, most newer computers would have the CD-ROM drive on /dev/hdc
(first drive on the second IDE port) rather than /dev/hdb (second drive
on the first IDE port), so that might be an issue.

Again, sorry if you already know this stuff and I'm just spouting noise.