Re: problem with /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/

*- On 17 Jul, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote about "problem with /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/"
> i want to start xnetload on ppp up, and kill it on ppp down. so i
> wrote two scripts: /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/load:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xnetload -geometry 200x48+0+0 -fn -schumacher-clean-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -fg white -bg black -nc -if ppp0 &
>
> and /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/load:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> killall xnetload
>
> when i connect, nothing happens. if i type /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/load
> at the command line, xnetload is loaded. if i then disconnect, the
> other script kills it.
>
> i have set permissions to 755, the #! line is the first line and
> the line isn't split. my fetchmail script, in the same directory,
> appears to work every time. has anyone any idea why this won't work?
>
> tia,

I assume you are running X as a normal user.  The scripts in ip-up.d are
run as root and know nothing about X and what display to put it on.  You
will have to give xnetload an explicit -display option and use xhosts or
some other means of giving the root user on your machine permission to
open a window on your desktop.

--
Brian