Travan TR-3 tape drive woes

I'm having trouble with Linux and my TR-3 tape drive.  It's attached to
the floppy cable and I've tested it in windows.  I compiled the ftape and
zftape modules in kernel 2.2.10 and loaded them fine.  The tape drive is
detected with no errors.  Taper seg.faults when it backs up though, yet,
taper will successfully quick format the tape.  I tried using tar to write
directly to the tape device, and it said that it couldn't write to it.
Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Thanks
-Paul