Travan TR-3 tape drive woes

Paul Miller writes:

 > I'm having trouble with Linux and my TR-3 tape drive.  It's attached to
 > the floppy cable and I've tested it in windows.  I compiled the ftape and
 > zftape modules in kernel 2.2.10 and loaded them fine.  The tape drive is
 > detected with no errors.  Taper seg.faults when it backs up though, yet,
 > taper will successfully quick format the tape.  I tried using tar to write
 > directly to the tape device, and it said that it couldn't write to it.
 > Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

I've got an Exabyte Eagle TR-3 that works fine.  I think I was using
taper for a while, but I decided that I'd rather stick with standard
UNIX tools.  Now I use tar, but the downside is that there's a bug in
gzip that makes the tar/gzip combination difficult to use.  I
discovered a workaround that uses one of the files in /proc to
determine when the device has been closed, and I incorporated that
into my backup script, so now it works beautifully.

What device are you using, /dev/qft0?  You should doublecheck the
permissions on that file if you're not root.

Jesse

--
Jesse Jacobsen, Pastor          jjacobsen@jvlnet.com
Grace Lutheran Church (ELS)     http://www.jvlnet.com/~jjacobsen/