Re: NetScape & bash paths

> I've been having troubles with working on the configuration of my connection
> with the graphics side of things.  Can you help me out?  Basically, I can't
> get mail from my server and I'm having difficulties with installing
> netscape.  Is there anything you can recommend I do?  Or should I check in
> different places for stuff?  Do you need more information?

What problems are you having setting up netscape?  What mail program are
you trying to get mail with and is your mail server a POP3 server?

> Netscape (when I try to run it), says that it can't find libXpm.so.4 Has
> anyone else encountered this?  Or could you give me a fix?  And the netscape
> in enlightenment won't run because my path variable isn't set to where
> netscape is.  Is there any way for me to change the menu options so that
> link points to the correct location that the new netscape (4.6, which isn't
> working, see above) is in?

What version of debian are you running and what problems are you having
installing it?  To find what package you need for libXpm.so.4 do a dpkg -S
libXpm.so.4 and that will tell you what package the file is in.  It looks
like you're missing one of the X packages.  Could be xlib6 or something
like that.  If you're trying to install Netscape 4.6 on a 2.1 or below
system, you'll have to get files from the potato distribution.  4.6 is
based of glibc 2.1 I believe and a newer version of netscape-base.

> Do I change the path variable by typing this in eterm:
> PATH="/the/path/I/want:other/paths/Iwant"
> Does that add those paths to the current profile?  Or does it completely
> change the PATH variable to the above, erasing the former PATH var?

The above line will nuke your PATH variable and put
"/the/path/I/want:other/paths/Iwant" as your PATH variable.  If you wish
to keep your existing PATH variable and add to it, do thist:
PATH="/the/path/I/want:other/paths/Iwant:$PATH" or something to that
effect.  the $PATH can be put anywhere on that line.  The only thing it
will efect is the order directories are searched in your path.

								Rob

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1998-99
Aka Khyron the Backstabber : ICQ# 2325055
Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh

"Happiness comes in short spurts.  Don't be fooled."