Re: how to configure atapi cdrom?

David Brode wrote:

> How do I apply this?  My Debian kernal (2.0.36) doesn't recognize the drive
> upon startup.  When I go into modconf and try to select cdrom drivers, it
> doesn't have a listing for Samsung drives, nor does it list a generic ATAPI
> driver.  Regarding the third paragraph of the HOWTO, I don't understand
> exactly what steps I'm supposed to take to get the atapi cdrom recognized
> as a SCSI device.
>
> How do I get this drive working?  All help appreciated.

	I don't know what the name of the driver (*.o) is because I have
always had ATAPI support builtin to the kernel.  In 2.0.35 (and
most probably 2.0.36), there is no way to build ATAPI support as a
module.  With 2.2.10, it can be modularized.  In the kernel's
config (of 2.0.35), ATAPI support is under the "Floppy, IDE, and
other block devices" menu.  When you turn on "Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL
disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support", there will appear an option
called "IDE/ATAPI CDROM support".  Turn on these items and rebuild
your kernel.

	FWIW.

--
Ed C.