how to configure atapi cdrom?

I recently purchased a new atapi cdrom (Samsung model SCR-3231) and I'm having trouble finding a driver for it. According to the CDROM HOWTO at 3.1,

3.1 ATAPI CD-ROM Drives
ATAPI (ATA Packet Interface) is a protocol for controlling mass storage devices. It builds on the ATA (AT Attachment) interface, the official ANSI standard name for the IDE interface developed for hard disk drives. ATAPI is commonly used for hard disks, CD-ROM drives, tape drives, and other devices. Currently the most popular type of interface, it offers most of the functionality of SCSI, without the need for an expensive controller or cables.

The Linux kernel has a device driver that should work with any ATAPI compliant CD-ROM drive. Vendors shipping compatible drives include Aztech, Mitsumi, NEC, Sony, Creative Labs, and Vertos. If you have recently purchased a CD-ROM drive, especially if it is quad speed or faster, it is almost guaranteed to be IDE/ATAPI.

Linux also has an IDE SCSI emulation kernel driver that makes an IDE/ATAPI device appear in software to be a SCSI device, allowing the use of a SCSI device driver instead of the native ATAPI driver. This is useful if you have an ATAPI device for which no native driver has been written (for example, an ATAPI PD-CD or CDR drive); you can then use this emulation together with an appropriate SCSI device driver.

How do I apply this? My Debian kernal (2.0.36) doesn't recognize the drive upon startup. When I go into modconf and try to select cdrom drivers, it doesn't have a listing for Samsung drives, nor does it list a generic ATAPI driver. Regarding the third paragraph of the HOWTO, I don't understand exactly what steps I'm supposed to take to get the atapi cdrom recognized as a SCSI device.

How do I get this drive working?  All help appreciated.