Re: Network setup.

Hans writes:
> I'm also not sure about something in pppconfig: it asks you for an IP
> address, but strongly advises you not to change the 'noipdefault' . It
> furthermore suggests that if you have a local IP (I read in this: the
> intranet's IP of your machine, but I could be wrong)

You are.  By "local ip" here I mean a "static" ip assigned by your isp when
you pay him the extra money he wants for a "static ip" account.  By "remote
ip" I mean the ip of the isp's machine.  The remote ip is very rarely
needed.

> In case you get a dynamic IP from your ISP (which I do), then just use
> the local IP ending with a colon.

No.  The ip you get from your isp is intended to be your "local" ip, that
is, the ip of the ppp interface.  Pppd gets it (and the ip of the isp's
machine) from the isp and gives it to the kernel which attaches it to the
ppp interface.  This is all automatic when dynamic ip addressing is used.

> I tried both 'noipdefault' and 192.168.0.1: but I am not sure which one
> actually worked.

"noipdefault" is the right one for you to use.  This lets pppd accept
whatever ip's your isp sends.

> The NET-3 HOWTO is pretty clear about the network setup,...

Not clear enough.  Computers don't have ip's.  Interfaces have ip's.
192.168.0.1 is the ip of your ethernet interface, but it has nothing to do
with the ip of your ppp interface.  Pppd takes care of the latter.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)