Re: Network setup.

>> I'm afraid to get into routing trouble, where mick doesn't query the ISP's
>> DNS server. I had this before: the local network worked fine, but I
>> couldn't get mick to route to the internet for addresses other than
>> 192.168.01 and 192.168.02.
>
>Not sure what you mean by that last sentence, since you say you are *not*
>connecting mack to the internet. Off the top of my head I wonder if you had
>'defaultroute' set as a ppp option?

No, the problem is with mick.

First I did #ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
Then, #route add -net 192.168.0.0
Then, #route add default ppp0

Routing to mack went fine, but I couldn't get through to the net. The above
procedure was taken from the Net-3 HOWTO

I'm also not sure about something in pppconfig: it asks you for an IP
address, but strongly advises you not to change the 'noipdefault' . It
furthermore suggests that if you have a local IP (I read in this: the
intranet's IP of your machine, but I could be wrong) and an IP from your
ISP, to enter them as 192.168.0.1:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x-es represent
the ISP assigned IP), so separated with a colon. In case you get a dynamic
IP from your ISP (which I do), then just use the local IP ending with a
colon. I tried both 'noipdefault' and 192.168.0.1: but I am not sure which
one actually worked. I simply ping to my provider and then to mack to see
if I can get through.

The NET-3 HOWTO is pretty clear about the network setup, but I'm pretty new
at this and would like some reference. The answer to my first mail already
helped a lot, so thanks.

Cheerio, Hans