Re: vmware

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 12:37:23PM -0400, Chris Hoover wrote:
> I'm starting to use vmware, and I love it.  However, I can only get 16 colors
> with it.  Does anyone know how to get the color depth to increase (win98)?
>
> I'm running it on an amd k6-2 300 with a creative labs RIVATNT card (which it
> does not seem to see).  It tells me that I have a Standard Display Adapter
> (VGA).  When I d/l'd the tnt drivers, it warned me that they were not designed
> for this adapter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> chris
>

> --

Err..you don't understand the way VMWare works. VMWare DOES NOT give you
access to the hardware in your machine. Instead, it works like this:
Guest Operating System

VMWare Tools (including SVGA driver)

VMWare's virtual video card

VMWare

X server on Host Operating System

Actual Graphics Hardware

Therefore, no matter what hardware you have, as long as it is supported by
X, VMWare emulates a graphics card on top of it.

Get the VMWare tools from http://www.vmware.com/download/downloadtools.html

Splattered all over the download pages are messages like
"VMWare highly recommends you download the tools"
"VMWare tools:This suite contains a highly optimized graphics driver"
Also, this question is a FAQ on the VMWare newsgroups
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com