Re: vmware

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 12:37:23PM -0400, Chris Hoover wrote:
> I'm starting to use vmware, and I love it.  However, I can only get 16 colors
> with it.  Does anyone know how to get the color depth to increase (win98)?
>
> I'm running it on an amd k6-2 300 with a creative labs RIVATNT card (which it
> does not seem to see).  It tells me that I have a Standard Display Adapter
> (VGA).  When I d/l'd the tnt drivers, it warned me that they were not designed
> for this adapter.

You need two things in order to get greater resolution in Win98 on
vmware:

1.  A DGA-compliant X server.  There are some modified servers you can
download from vmware.  I know that at least the SVGA server in potato
has this, but am not sure about others or the ones in slink.

2.  You need to download the vmware-tools from vmware and install them
in Win98.  These include a new svga driver (you do not use the driver
for your video card -- thing virtual. I'm getting 1024x768 full screen
and it works fine.

There are many technical support pages on the vmware web site.  They
also have some news groups that I have found helpful.

Bob