Re: iomega zip disk (100)

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 03:18:15PM -0700, Wendell Buckner wrote:
> Has anyone out there attempted to use a iomega zip disk with linux?  I see from the invformation on the debian website that it can be done.  Has anyone run into problems trying to do this?  If so, please let me know, cause I plan on attaching one to  my Linux P.C. soon and I'd like it to go a smooth as possible!  I'm primarily doing this so I can put some of X -windows deb's on them(zip disks).  Some of the files are to big for a floppy and zip disk would be an ideal(available) medium that I can use.

It is actually amazingly simple.  But you are going to need some background
before getting started.

You will need to know how to compile the kernel.  If you can't do that
you can't do.  If you can never mind.  See Kernel-HOWTO.

You will need to download the 2.2.x kernel.
Simply compile the kernel with scsi disk support (compile it as a module)
then in the SCSI portion
of the config file (i.e., make menuconfig); also under 'additional
low level drivers' say yes to iomega zip (the ppa.o and ppm.o modules).

That's it. I would use the kernel-package application do compile the
kernel.  After you save your .config file in the /usr/src/linux dir,
do 'make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_package' this will build
the kernel into a deb file so that you can dpkg -i the kernel in.

This handle module installation as well.  Then modprobe sd_mod scsi_mod ppa.
This will install the iomega drive capability and you will mount it
on /dev/sda.  That's it!

That's it.

--
                                _
NatePuri ("natedawg")		o m p a g e s . c o m