Lilo version problem

I installed Debian Slink on a system that previously had a Caldera
system on it.  Then when I attempted to run lilo I got an error message
that said something like "The first somethingorother is version 18.
Version 20 expected" and then lilo exits.  Eventually I figured that
maybe I needed to uninstall lilo and then reinstall it.  But when I
tried to reinstall I got the same message.  Then I booted to the rescue
disk and tried to install lilo from there, but it says can't install
and gives a nondescript reason.  Anyone know how I can clear this up?

Donald MacDougall
dmacdoug@hsc.usc.edu