Re: samba printing..oops

Hello,

peter moody:
> Hi all, I have a question.  I'm trying to set up some linux folks at work
> (we are in the minority) with the ability to print graphics (i'm not sure
> why, but the orders came from above...) I'm printing to an NT served hp
> laserjet 4. does pcl and all that.  i'v got magicfilter, but it's not
> configured properly.  some one told me that I need to check out samba
> printing docs, but i can't find the proper docs.

/usr/doc/samba/examples/printing/smbprint

> anyone have any suggestions?

What I did here at home was set up two printers:

  + one pretty much like the above file (only I got rid of all the
  variables and hardcoded everything),

  + the other I turned on "translate" and replaced the "cat" on second last
  line with: "fold -s ; echo -n ^L".

The idea is that text jobs go to the second one, and are line-broken and
ready for the printer to handle; it's called "lp" so that's what happens
when you hit "p" in mutt/tin/whatever. The first one is only used when I've
already stuck the thing through ghostscript. (Note: the ^L is the Control-L
character.)

Then again, I don't have magicfilter (I don't think). There's probably a
better way to do things.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently