Re: Securing system

Well many daemons are controlled but not all, for example mail and RPC are not.  You can see what is running on your system with netstat:

	netstat -a --inet
Any socket with LISTEN is dangerous since it can be connected to.  The other place to look for daemons being started is /etc/innittab and the rc scripts e.g /etc/rc3.d.  Pstree is a very useful command as shows you where everything has been started ie the parent PID.

Security can be a permanent hobby.........but for most people it's a case of getting the basics right and then keeping backups just in case you meet with someone who is nasty.  Think of it in the same way as learning any set of commands, in most cases the learning curve is steep but you only have to learn it once and then it's good for ages!!

Good luck,

Steve