Re: Securing system

Hi Mark,

The first thing you should do is comment telnet back in until you have drawn up your security strategy ;-)

The standard things people will tell you to do are:
	- turn everything off
	- use inetd/wrappers with PARANOIA for anything you *have* to have on
	- use packet filtering ie ipchains
	- use a logchecker
	- keep backups for WHEN you get broken into.
Unfortunately if you are on a cable modem you are easy meat since your available 24/7 and because often the people who connect have no real security idea they are a useful staging post for a cracker.  I currently get scanned about 2x a day at work and often they are from IP's that resolve to cable modems.

I would suggest that you ate tke time to review material at cert such as the architectural design of unix security, the LDP has some good links and there is the security HOWTO (or equiv titled).  For a faster/dirtier guide try:

https://www.seifried.org/lasg/

This is a book on securing your system by Kurt Seifried, I haven't read the new version but the first one was perfectly capable if RH focused.

HTH,

Steve