Securing system

Hi all:

Okay. I seem to have my two computers networked together. In fact I've
telneted into my machine that has a direct internet connection to
write this email.

I have some questions on how to go about making my system more
secure. When I first had my cable modem installed, one of the first
things I did was comment out the services in /etc/inet.conf. Now I've
gone back and un-commented the line for telnet (I assumed I had to in
order to telnet into my gateway (is that right?)). But i've read in
the past that telnet isn't very secure and that people can intercept
logins and passwords when one telnets to a computer.

Can anyone supply some security related resources that can get this
neophyte started? I realize that the first thing I should do is
upgrade my kernel (and I'll do it today).

tia
--
                                         __   _
Mark Wagnon             Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __