Re: What's the best way to organize "small" drives

David Forcey wrote:

> NEWBIE ALERT!
>
> I just installed slink on a 486-100 (Windows throwaway) with 3 salvaged
> drives (each 540 MB).  I partitioned them as follows:
> hda1    boot    Primary Linux   ext2    250.4MB
> hda2            Primary Linux   Swap    63.99 MB
> hda3            Primary Linux           201.8 MB
> hdb1            Primary Linux   ext2    515.82 MB
> hdc1            Primary Linux           515.82 MB
Just my opinion but you could make this the arrangement
 hda1    boot    Primary Linux   ext2    515.82 MB
 hdb1            Primary Linux   ext2    451.12 MB
 hdb2            Primary Linux   Swap    63.99  MB
 hdc1            Primary Linux   ext2    515.82 MB
There are several advantages to this;
1. the swap files will be available faster.
2. you can set up the system with hard links to /usr/local and /home
and put all of those files and directories on /dev/hdb1 again this will
speed up your system some and also allow you to completely rebuild or
update the entire system as needed without messing with the files you
use the most. you could put /usr/local on /dev/hdc1 and /home on
/dev/hdb1 also by using hard links to them on /dev/hda1.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems