Re: What's the best way to organize "small" drives

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 12:29:59PM -0500, David Forcey wrote
> NEWBIE ALERT!
>
> I just installed slink on a 486-100 (Windows throwaway) with 3 salvaged
> drives (each 540 MB).  I partitioned them as follows:
> hda1	boot	Primary	Linux	ext2	250.4MB
> hda2		Primary	Linux	Swap	63.99 MB
> hda3		Primary	Linux		201.8 MB
> hdb1		Primary	Linux	ext2	515.82 MB
> hdc1		Primary	Linux		515.82 MB
>
> When I chose the type of system I wanted during the installation, it found
> the packages and began downloading them, then ran out of disk space.  Should
> I have made the boot partition larger?  Or is there a proper way to have the
> packages moved or installed on one of the other partitions?  What am I
> missing here?

I suspect that you created these partitions, but that you only selected
"Initialize a Linux Disc Partition" for one of them; you need to do this for
/dev/hda1, but then again for each of the other (non-swap) partitions that
you want to use.  After the root partition is mounted, just choose
"Initialize a Linux Disc Partition" for each of the others in turn.

If you want to mount one non-root partition within another, then you should
initialize and mount them in the right order; for instance if /dev/hda2 is
for /var and /dev/hda3 is for /var/spool, you must initialize and mount
/dev/hda2 before /dev/hda3.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au