Re: xterm with utf-8

On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 06:19:20PM +0100, Stefan Baums wrote:
> The problem with unifont is that the characters themselves are
> displayed correctly, but are drawn too far apart. Looks like an extra
> space character is inserted between any two characters.

Not a bug, but inconvenient: yes.

unifont is not a mono-spaced font. It contains characters that are
either 8 or 16 pixels wide. This works splendidly with yudit, but not
with terminal emulators.

I wish terminal-emulators could do somethings sensible with these
degenerate variable-width fonts, because it's a very convenient way to
design a font.

I actually saw the same thing two days ago when I first heard about
xterm's -u8 option.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed