Re: /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm?

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 11:24:55AM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> I tried to install vmware over the weekend and it wanted to compile a
> kernel module for my 2.2.10 kernel.  It complained because my linux
> kernel header version was still 2.2.9.  I looked and sure enough,
> /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm were both real directories with
> real files.
>
> Aren't these typically supposed to be symlinks to /usr/src/linux/...?
>
> Also, how did the headers there get up to 2.2.9?  I haven't done
> anything fancy to copy headers into those directories, and I've been
> downloading kernel patches from www.linuxhq.com etc, not the Debian
> packages.  Does the normal kernel build usually install these?  I wonder
> why it didn't for 2.2.10?

In Debian, the headers in /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm are
not symlinks to the kernel source, but are supplied by libc6-dev.  As
this is periodically upgraded, they may be based on newer kernels--the
current potato version comes from 2.2.9.

What I did to compile the vmware modules is to mv /usr/lib/linux to some
other location and replace it with a symlink to the headers in my 2.2.10
kernel source.  You can probably use symlinks all the time, but you
should read /usr/doc/libc6-dev/FAQ.Debian.gz to understand the rationale
as to why the headers are packaged this way.

Bob