/usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm?

I tried to install vmware over the weekend and it wanted to compile a
kernel module for my 2.2.10 kernel.  It complained because my linux
kernel header version was still 2.2.9.  I looked and sure enough,
/usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm were both real directories with
real files.

Aren't these typically supposed to be symlinks to /usr/src/linux/...?

Also, how did the headers there get up to 2.2.9?  I haven't done
anything fancy to copy headers into those directories, and I've been
downloading kernel patches from www.linuxhq.com etc, not the Debian
packages.  Does the normal kernel build usually install these?  I wonder
why it didn't for 2.2.10?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development