Re: How to intall a Modem in Linux

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Andrei Ivanov wrote:

> > I have a problem with installing an US Robotics 56K Internal Modem in a Linux
> > system (Slink Debian 2.01). The vendor assure me it is not a WinModem. How to
> > install it ? It  Your suggestions are highly appreciated.
>
> If it's not, then you just stick it into the computer (ISA card? PnP
> modem, maybe?), go to Windows and get teh settings, like DMA, IRQ, Com
> port.

You don't technically need to go into Windoze to get the settings. If it's
not PnP, you just set the jumpers properly. If it is, you'll probably need
to use isapnptools anyway, and that _can_ be done without reference to
Windows at all (pnpdump --config is good, but make sure the serial ports
aren't in use.)

> Then come back to Linux and either :
> 1. If just a plain serial modem (doubt that, though), you can run
> pppconfig and direct the ppp to right Com port. (Com1 is /dev/ttyS0, Com2
> is /dev/ttyS1 and so on).

Some new modems can be configured with jumpers to be either PnP or
non-Pnp. For example, the 3com Model 5687-03 i bought a few weeks ago. I
chose to specify IRQ and serial (COM) port with the jumpers, so i wouldn't
have to make a new isapnp.conf...

Also, before this, you may need to use setserial to tell the kernel which
IRQ and port address the modem is using. In my case, i put the modem on
IRQ 5, and the default for ttyS2 is IRQ 4, so i had to reconfigure that.
Also, i had to tell bios that IRQ 5 was used by a "Legacy ISA" card before
Linux could contact it...

> 2. If pnp modem, use isapnp to initialize the modem and then use
> pppconfig.
> Or I prefer to use wvdial to initialize modem. It provides better
> explanations and access, somewhat.

i used wvdialconf to find the modem and make sure it was working, and to
get a good init string. But if i use wvdial to try dialing in, pppd dies
complaining the remote computer needs to provide a secret password or
somehting like that. Since pon works fine, i just use that.