OPTi931 How-To, sort of...

How to make the OPTi931 sound card run in potato (2.2.9):

1) Go to RedHat and get the rpm's for sndconfig and newt40.

2) Use alien to make these into debs, and install. .

3) Run sndconfig.

4) Ignore the midi problem and save the versions of isapnp.conf and
conf.modules.

5) Put these two lines somewhere handy; I used the end of
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:

isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
modprobe mad16

The above assumes you've read and obeyed the kernel docs for opti; in addition
to those, and I don't know if this is really necessary, I also configured the
kernel to build the soundlow module. To do this select one of the lowlevel
sound devices in your kernel config.

Comments, reflections, excoriations and emendations are cheerfully invited!

--
Bob Bernstein                http://members.home.net/ruptured-duck
at