Re: How to intall a Modem in Linux

> Hi There,
>
> I have a problem with installing an US Robotics 56K Internal Modem in a Linux
> system (Slink Debian 2.01). The vendor assure me it is not a WinModem. How to
> install it ? It  Your suggestions are highly appreciated.
>
> Ming

If it's not, then you just stick it into the computer (ISA card? PnP
modem, maybe?), go to Windows and get teh settings, like DMA, IRQ, Com
port. Then come back to Linux and either :
1. If just a plain serial modem (doubt that, though), you can run
pppconfig and direct the ppp to right Com port. (Com1 is /dev/ttyS0, Com2
is /dev/ttyS1 and so on).
2. If pnp modem, use isapnp to initialize the modem and then use
pppconfig.
Or I prefer to use wvdial to initialize modem. It provides better
explanations and access, somewhat.

Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com