Re: How to intall a Modem in Linux

This is a follow-up for those interested.

We have an OEM 3Com/USRobotics USR3030 56k FAX Internal Modem
(an 8bit ISA PnP card with jumpers) in a ASUS P2B-F mainboard
in a dual-boot Win95/Linux configuration.  We also have a 16bit
ISA PnP SoundBlaster (Vibra16) sound card (no IRQ/IO jumpers).

On the Linux side we ran pnpdump to get SB16 and USR options,
selected "Priority Preferred" options for /etc/isapnp.conf,
and attempted to initialize with isapnp (via /etc/init.d/isapnp).

The isapnp utility complained of IRQ, then IO conflicts as I
tried the usual com1,2,3,4 settings:
  # setserial -g /dev/ttyS[0-3]
  /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
  /dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
  /dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
  /dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

The isapnp utility was happy with an unusual setting IRQ9,0x03e8
but of course Win95 was not at all happy - unable to find; in fact
the OEM drivers "autocheck" utility would run indefinitely looking
for the card and the Win95 driver wouldn't consider anything other
than com1 and com2.

In the end I used (labeled) jumpers on the USR3030 to configure
it as com2 (/dev/ttyS1) and left the mainboard com2 port enabled
in (Award) BIOS settings (necessary!).  Both Win95 and Linux can
find the USR3030 and the SB16/Vibra16 (prefers IRQ5), however we
loose an external serial port.

later,
-vincent.(kujala@geog.ubc.ca)