3C905B 10/100 card "falls back" to 10MB

Hello All,
  I recently had to move a system from a 10MB ethernet segment to a
100MB segment.  I edited "/etc/init.d/network" to re-assign the IP
parameters and that worked just fine, but I can't seem to get the card
(a 3Com 3c905B 10/100) to run at 100MB.  During system boot-up the
"100MB" LED on the card is lit, but as soon as the filesystems are
mounted the 100MB LED goes out and the 10MB LED comes on.  Everything
else works OK except the speed is wrong.  I'm running the Debian 2.1
distribution and the 2.0.36 kernel.

  I'm kind of at a loss as to what to look at here- "ifconfig" does not
address the speed of the interface and I can't find anything that looks
like it might (I thought this speed negotiation stuff was done in
hardware). If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd sure
appreciate it!

Thanks!

--
Bill Von Elm   billve@bnl.gov
Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton NY USA