Re: No menuconfig!?

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Revenant wrote:

> I'm wanting to rebuild the kernel, but when I try to "make menuconfig"
> I get an error like "no rule for menuconfig".  "make config" likewise
> doesn't work.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Sanity check: You are in the base directory of a kernel source tree? When
you use the ls command, you should see something like this:
  $ ls
  COPYING        Makefile        arch     fs       kernel  scripts
  CREDITS        README          arm      include  lib     usb
  Documentation  REPORTING-BUGS  debian   init     mm
  MAINTAINERS    Rules.make      drivers  ipc      net

If not, you have to install the kernel sources, either from a debian
package (kernel-source-2.2.10, for example) or from the tarfiles at
kernel.org. You then cd to the directory the sources are unpacked into and
use make menuconfig from there.