Re: New windows

On 22 Jun 1999, Revenant wrote:
> Well, this seems like the ideal opportunity for me to advertise my
> ignorance:
>
> What exactly is the difference between a window manager and a desktop
> environment?
>
> Thanx.
>
> BTW, I second the opinion re: Windowmaker.  It's intuitive and easy
> to use, it looks funky (and probably will look funkier when I get
> drivers for my video card :) and is really quite impressive...

My ignorance is even greater; I have never managed to get Windowmaker to
run at all! I have the standard Slink distribution. I've installed the deb
files for wmaker and wmaker-data, but when I try to use it I get a message
saying that it can't find /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker.

I think at one time I did have it semi-working but all I got was the root
window, with nothing else; now I can't even get that.

Could some Windowmaker enthusiast tell me what else is needed please?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)