Re: New windows

Oooo, dangerous ground... Hopefully this doesn't spark a holy war ;)

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:

> After a while I found Windowmaker, and set up a desktop with several
> handy dock apps. A refreshingly approach to a personal desktop
> environment. Also, Windowmaker looks good! So different from MS, and yet
> very easy to configure and use.

i like it too, none of the other window managers i've tried have felt
right.

> Then I see that the big hype these days is KDE and Gnome. I have tried them
> both and felt I was taking one step back towards what I left. I just do not
> undetstand why the Linux community are working against a wm "standard" that is
> not based on what seems truly unique and well layed out: The nextish look.

Supposedly, you can use any window manager (read: WindowMaker) with these
desktop environments. i haven't actually tried it, never felt the need to.

> Instead I am again presented with the taskbar and popup menus that hasn't
> really changed for years. Is this to conquer new users, or is it becuase Linux
> users "secretly" have missed the look and feel of MS Windows?

My guess is "new users"... Although there certainly are some out there
that like the windows-style menus.

> And in Debian Windowmaker is presented as: "Yet another Windowmanager" when it
> is actually GNOME and KDE that to me feels and looks like "yet another..."

File a bug report, saying the description doesn't do the package justice?
;)