Re: ide-scsi support

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 05:30:00PM +0100, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote
> On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 10:54:52AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying (again) to make my IDE CD-RW work.
> >
> > Have you done this this way successfully before?
>
> Something along these lines, yes.
>
> > On 2.0.x kernels, the SCSI emulation help specifically says to
> > disable ATAPI CDROM support beacuse it will be used over SCSI
> > emulation.  Thus it's my understanding that a device _already_
> > detected as ATAPI CDROM will never be detected as SCSI emulated.
>
> Oh. I sort of see. Is it possible to make /dev/hdd SCSI only? I'll
> only really need it to write CDs (and hopefully read the CD-Rs that
> my Creative ATAPI spits out).

I haven't done this sort of thing myself, but you may be able to use
IDE-SCSI for /dev/hdd only with your current kernel by passing
'/dev/hdd=none' as a boot parameter (either at the LILO prompt,
or with 'append=...' in /etc/lilo.conf); this should ensure that
the IDE driver ignores /dev/hdd, which may make it available for
the IDE-SCSI driver.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au