Re: Compaq Deskpro 6000 install trouble

George Bonser wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>
> > The problem I'm aware of with the Compaq Deskpro 6000 was a a
> > model sold two years ago with an Adaptec SCSI card (2940U).  The
> > PC would reboot.
> >
> > Do you have such a controller?  I thought this was solved in
> > recent Debian boot disks.
>
> That would be the beast I am working with. I am booting directly from the
> slink  CDROM.

Ah.  Try building a boot rescue disk using the images at:

 http://www.debian.org/~adric/aic7xxx/slink/5.1.15/

I made some myself two years ago, but I had not included module
support.  They would most likely be sufficient to get you
installed until you compiled your own kernel though.  I include
this now for completeness, but the above URL is better. See:

 ftp://ftp.phys.ocean.dal.ca/users/rhogee/debian/old-aic-bootdisk/
 ftp://ftp.phys.ocean.dal.ca/users/rhogee/debian/old-aic-bootdisk/new-version/

The `new-version' one has SCSI CDROM support and the other one
doesn't.  Be warned, these kernels are two years old now (but
they worked for me on that machine, which I'm still using now)

Good luck!

Peter